Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
The STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) strand is an academic track in the Senior High School program that is designed for students who are interested in pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The curriculum of the STEM strand provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of these fields, and some of the subjects covered in the STEM strand include:
- Earth and Life Science
- General Mathematics
- Statistics and Probability
- Physical Science
Advantages of choosing the STEM strand for students interested in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics include:
- Preparation for college courses in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics
- Development of analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills that are applicable to a wide range of careers
- Exposure to the latest scientific and technological concepts, theories, and practices
- Opportunity to participate in research projects and explore new and emerging fields in science and technology
At Sacred Heart School – Ateneo de Cebu, the STEM strand program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive education that emphasizes hands-on learning, innovation, and creativity. Some of the key features of the STEM strand program at SHS-AdC include:
- State-of-the-art facilities and resources such as science and computer laboratories, robotics and engineering equipment, and a library that provides access to the latest scientific journals and publications
- Small class sizes that allow for personalized attention and support from teachers
- Emphasis on the development of research and design-thinking skills through projects and competitions
- Opportunities for students to participate in outreach programs, industry immersions, and seminars to gain practical experience and explore career opportunities in science and technology
- Support services such as guidance counseling, learning support, and career and college guidance
We believe in providing our students with a transformative education that prepares them to become innovators and leaders who are committed to making a positive impact on the world. Our STEM strand program is designed to provide students with the practical skills, knowledge, and experience needed to succeed in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, while also instilling in them the values of magis (more), cura personalis (care for the person), and being men and women for others.
The STEM Strand of Sacred Heart School – Ateneo de Cebu envisions each ATENEO HEARTER STEM student to…
- engage in scientific pursuits that apply biochemical and technological principles to advance personal and communal well-being (Biotechnology);
- develop creativity and critical thinking in constructing models, structures, and innovative systems to improve peoples’ quality of life (Design Thinking); and
- advocate for environmental stewardship through actions and initiatives that promote sustainability and disaster-resilient designs (Green Engineering and Technology).
What we do differently at SHS–AdC:
- Our commitment to the Jesuit tradition of academic excellence, social justice, and spiritual growth
- Our focus on innovation, creativity, and hands-on learning, which helps students to become competitive and successful in the fields of science and technology
- Our emphasis on values formation, which helps students to become ethical, responsible, and socially aware leaders
- Our commitment to providing a supportive and inclusive learning environment where every student can thrive
(Nursery 1 to Grade 6)
Keeping in mind the school’s objectives to offer the pupils quality education, the Grade School Department strives to carefully organized its curriculum and instructional programs not only to meet the requirements of the K to 12 Enhanced Basic Education but also to realize the Vision-Mission of the school.
Junior High School (Grade 7 to Grade 10)
Strengthen, explore, pursue. These are our calls of the Junior High School department – to strengthen the foundation of knowledge and values, of character and wisdom; to explore better versions of one’s self and the things students love to do; and to pursue growth holistically and excellently. We aim for students to grow deep roots and bear good and many fruits.
Senior High School (Grade 11 and Grade 12)
The Senior High School Program exemplifies the seven core values in its curriculum. As graduate-Ateneo-Hearters, when students finish Grade 12, we envision them to be inspired and ignited with the gift of St. Ignatius to humanity, the gift of Ignatian Spirituality.